Now let us come before Him,|
With song and prayer adore Him,
Who to our life hath given
All needed strength from heaven.
2. The stream of years is flowing,
And we are onward going,
From old to new surviving
And by His mercy thriving.
3. In woe we often languish
And pass through times of anguish,
Of wars and trepidation
Alarming every nation.
4. As mothers watch are keeping
O'er children who are sleeping,
Their fear and grief assuaging
When angry storms are raging.
5. So God His own is shielding
And help to them is yielding.
When need and woe distress them,
His loving arms caress them.
6. O Thou who dost not slumber,
Remove what would encumber
Our work, which prospers never
Unless Thou bless it ever.
7. Our song to Thee ascendeth,
Who every day defendeth
Us, and whose arm averteth
The pain our hearts that hurteth.
8. O God of Mercy, hear us;|
Our Father, be Thou near us;
Mid crosses and in sadness
Be Thou our Fount of gladness.
9. To all who bow before Thee
And for Thy grace implore Thee,
Oh, grant Thy benediction
And patience in affliction.
10. Oh, close the gates of sorrow,
And by a glorious morrow
Of peace may places saddened
By bloodshed dire be gladdened.
11. With richest blessings crown us,
In all our days, Lord, own us;
Give grace, who grace bestowest,
To all, e'en to the lowest.
12. Be Thou a Helper speedy
To all the poor and needy,
To all forlorn a Father;
Thy erring children gather.
13. Be with the sick and ailing,
Their Comforter unfailing;
Dispelling grief and sadness,
Oh, give them joy and gladness!
14. Above all else, Lord, send us
Thy Spirit to attend us,
Within our hearts abiding,
To heaven our footsteps guiding.
15. All this Thy hand bestoweth,
Thou Life, whence our life floweth.
To all Thy name confessing
Grant, Lord, Thy New Year's blessing.