Gottfried W. Sacer, 1661, tr. by Frances E. Cox, 1841; German text
Lo, God to heaven ascendeth!|
Throughout its regions vast
With shouts triumphant blendeth
The trumpet's thrilling blast:
Sing praise to Christ the Lord;
Sing praise with exultation,
King of each heathen nation,
The God of hosts adored!
2. With joy is heaven resounding
3. From cross to throne ascending,
4. Our place He is preparing;|
To heaven we, too, shall rise,
With Him His glory sharing,
Be where our Treasure lies.
Bestir thyself, my soul!
Where Jesus Christ has entered,
There let thy hope be centered;
Press onward toward the goal.
5. Let all our thoughts be winging
6. Farewell with all thy treasures,
7. When on our vision dawning,|
Will break the wished-for hour
Of that all-glorious morning
When Christ shall come with power?
Oh, come, thou welcome day,
When we, our Savior meeting,
His second advent greeting,
Shall hail the Heaven-sent ray.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |