Georg Neumark, 1640; German text
If thou but suffer God to guide thee|
And hope in Him through all thy ways,
He'll give thee strength, whate'er betide thee,
And bear thee through the evil days.
Who trusts in God's unchanging love
Builds on the Rock that naught can move.
2. What can these anxious cares avail thee,
3. Be patient and await His leisure
4. God knows full well when times of gladness|
Shall be the needful thing for thee.
When He has tried thy soul with sadness
And from all guile has found thee free,
He comes to thee all unaware
And makes thee own His loving care.
5. Nor think amid the fiery trial
6. All are alike before the Highest;
7. Sing, pray, and keep His ways unswerving,|
Perform thy duties faithfully,
And trust His Word, though undeserving,
Thou yet shalt find it true for thee.
God never yet forsook in need
The soul that trusted Him indeed.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |