Philipp Nicolai, 1597; German text
How lovely shines the Morning Star!|
The nations see and hail afar
The light in Judah shining.
Thou David's Son of Jacob's race,
My Bridegroom and my King of Grace,
For Thee my heart is pining.
Great and glorious, Thou victorious
Prince of graces,
Filling all the heavenly places.
2. O highest joy by mortals won,
3. Now richly to my waiting heart,
4. A pledge of peace from God I see|
When Thy pure eyes are turned to me
To show me Thy good pleasure.
Jesus, Thy Spirit and Thy Word,
Thy body and Thy blood, afford
My soul its dearest treasure.
Keep me Kindly
In Thy favor, O my Savior!
Thou wilt cheer me;
Thy Word calls me to draw near Thee.
5. Thou, mighty Father, in Thy Son
6. Lift up the voice and strike the string.
7. Oh, joy to know that Thou, my Friend,|
Art Lord, Beginning without end,
The First and Last, Eternal!
And Thou at length--O glorious grace!
Wilt take me to that holy place,
The home of joys supernal.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |