Venantius Fortunatus, c. 530- 609, translated by Theodore A. Laced, 1884
Left: from the 1941 Lutheran Hymnal
Right: from the 1916 Episcopal Hymnal
Hail! festal day, to endless ages known,|
When Christ, o'er death victorious, gained his throne.
2. Now with the Lord of new and heavenly birth,
3. He reigns supreme, who died the death of shame
4. Fulfill thy promise, King of love, we pray!
5. No mouldering tomb shall hold thee in repose;
6. Who holdest all things in thy hollowed hand,
7. Cast off thy grave-clothes; let them there remain:
8. Creator, Fount of Life, thou knowest the grave
9. Light of the world, show us thy face once more,
10. A countless people, from death's fetters free,
11. The shades of death are pierced, his lass
Hail! festal day! to endless ages known,|
When God ascended to his starry throne.
2. Now with the Lord of new and heavenly
3. Now glows the earth with painted flowers' array,
4. Now Christ, from gloomy hell, comes triumphing,
5. The reign of death o'erthrown, he mounts on high,
6. Loose now the captives, loose the prison door,
7. A countless people, from death's fetters free,
8. Creator and Redeemer, Christ our Light!
9. Co-equal, Co-eternal, thou to whom
10. Thou, looking on our race in darkness laid,
| Hymn Index | Home Page |