Benjamin Schmolck, 1704; German text
Dearest Jesus, we are here,|
Gladly Thy command obeying;
With this child we now draw near
In accord with Thine own saying
That to Thee it shall be given
As a child and heir of heaven.
2. Yea, Thy word is clear and plain,
3. Therefore hasten we to Thee,
4. Wash it, Jesus, in Thy blood,|
From the sin-stain of its nature;
Let it rise from out this flood
Clothed in Thee, a new-born creature;
May it, washed as Thou hast bidden,
In Thine innocence be hidden.
5. Turn its darkness into light,
6. Gracious Head, Thy member own;
7. Now into Thy heart we pour|
Prayers that from our hearts proceeded.
Our petitions heavenward soar;
May our warm desires be heeded!
Write the name we now have given,
Write it in the book of heaven.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |