Johann Scheffler, 1668, v.4 by unknown, 1704;
Come, follow me, the Savior spake,|
All in My way abiding;
Deny yourselves, the world forsake,
Obey My call and guiding.
Oh, bear the cross, whate'er betide,
Take my example for your guide.
2. I am the Light, I light the way,
3. My heart abounds in lowliness,
4. I teach you how to shun and flee|
What harms your soul's salvation,
Your heart from every guile to free,
From sin and its temptation.
I am the Refuge of the soul
And lead you to your heavenly goal.
5. But if too hot you find the fray,
6. Who seeks to find his soul's welfare
7. Then let us follow Christ, our Lord,|
And take the cross appointed
And, firmly clinging to His Word,
In suffering be undaunted.
For who bears not the battle's strain
The crown of life shall not obtain.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |