Martin Luther, 1524; German text
Christ Jesus lay in death's strong bands,|
For our offenses given;
But now at God's right hand He stands
And brings us life from heaven;
Therefore let us joyful be
And sing to God right thankfully
Loud songs of hallelujah!
2. None o'er Death could victory win;
3. Jesus Christ, God's only Son,
4. Strange and dreadful was the fray,|
When Death and Life contended;
But 'twas Life that won the day,
And Death's dark sway was ended.
Holy Scripture plainly saith,
Death is swallowed up of Death,
Put to scorn and led in triumph.
5. This, the Paschal Lamb, the Christ,
6. Therefore let us keep the feast
7. Eat th' unleavened bread to-day,|
And drink the paschal chalice;
From God's pure word put away
The leaven of guile and malice.
Christ alone our souls will feed;
He is meat and drink indeed.
Faith no other life desireth.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |