Nicolai F.S. Grundtvig, 1837
Built on the Rock the Church doth stand,|
Even when steeples are falling;
Crumbled have spires in every land,
Bells still are chiming and calling,
Calling the young and old to rest,
But above all the soul distrest,
Longing for rest everlasting.
2. Surely in temples made with hands,
3. We are God's house of living stones,
4. Now we may gather with our King|
E'en in the lowliest dwelling;
Praises to Him we there may bring,
His wondrous mercy forthtelling.
Jesus His grace to us accords;
Spirit and life are all His words;
His truth doth hallow the temple.
5. Still we our earthly temples rear
6. Here stands the font before our eyes
7. Grant then, O God, where'er men roam,|
That, when the church-bells are ringing,
Many in saving faith may come
Where Christ His message is bringing:
I know Mine own, Mine own know Me;
Ye, not the world, My face shall see.
My peace I leave with you. Amen.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |