Martin Luther, 1524; German text
All praise to Jesus' hallowed name|
Who of virgin pure became
True man for us! The angels sing
As the glad news to earth they bring.
2.Th' eternal Father's only Son
3. He whom the world could not inwrap
4. Th' eternal Light, come down from heaven,|
Hath to us new sunshine given;
It shineth in the midst of night,
And maketh us the sons of light.
5. The Father's Son, God everblest,
6. He came to earth so mean and poor,
7. All this he did to show his grace|
To our poor and sinful race;
For this let Christendom adore
And praise his name for evermore.
All praise to Thee, eternal God,|
Who, clothed in garb of flesh and blood,
Dost take a manger for Thy throne,
While worlds on worlds are Thine alone.
2. Once did the skies before Thee bow;
3. A little Child, Thou art our Guest|
That weary ones in Thee may rest;
Forlorn and lowly is Thy birth
That we may rise to heaven from earth.
4. Thou comest in the darksome night
5. All this for us Thy love hath done;|
By This to Thee our love is won;
For this our joyful songs we raise
And shout our thanks in ceaseless praise.
| Hymn Index | Home Page |