Lazarus Spengler, 1524, tr. by Matthias Loy, 1880
All mankind fell in Adam's fall,|
One common sin infects them all;
From sire to son the bane descends,
And over all the curse impends.
2. Through all man's powers corruption creeps
3. From hearts depraved, to evil prone,
4. But Christ, the second Adam, came|
To bear our sin and woe and shame,
To be our Life, our Light, our Way,
Our only Hope, our only Stay.
5. As by one man all mankind fell
6. We thank Thee, Christ; new life is ours,
| Hymn Index | Home Page |