from the Thomason Tracts, 1646
Listen to me and you shall hear,|
News hath not been this thousand year:
Since Herod, Caesar, and many more,
You never heard the like before.
Holy-dayes are despis'd,
New fashions are devis'd.
Old Christmas is kickt out of Town.
Yet let's be content,
And the times lament,
You see the world turn'd upside down.
2. The wise men did rejoyce to see
3. Command is given, we must obey,
4. Our Lords and Knights, and Gentry too, doe|
Mean old fashions to forgoe:
They set a porter at the gate,
That none must enter in thereat.
They count it a sin,
When poor people come in.
Hospitality it selfe is drown'd.
5. The serving men doe sit and whine,
6. To conclude, I'le tell you news that's right,
| Song Index | Home Page |