John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 77
With Satan, my accuser, near|
My spirit trembled when I saw
The Lord in majesty appear,
And heart the language of the law.
2. In vain I wish'd and strove to hide
3. Struck dumb, and left without a plea,
4. This is a brand which I, in love,
5. At his rebuke the tempter fled;|
Then he remov'd my filthy dress;
Poor sinner, take this robe, he said,
It is thy Saviour's rightousness.
6. And see, a crown of life prepar'd!
7. O how I heard these gracious words!
8. Now, Satan, thou hast lost thy aim,
| Song Index | Home Page |