John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 91
When Peter boasted, soon he fell,|
Yet was by grace restored;
His case should be regarded well
By all who fear the Lord.
2. A voice it has, and helping hand,
3. He said, Whatever others do,
4. He who had been so bold before,
5. While he blasphemed he heard the cock,|
And Jesus looked in love;
At once, as if by lightning struck,
His tongue forbore to move.
6. Delivered thus from Satan's snare
7. But sure the faithful cock had crowed
8. As I, like Peter, vows have made,
9. Lord Jesus, hear a sinner's cry,|
My broken peace renew;
And grant one pitying look, that I
May weep with Peter too.
| Song Index | Home Page |