John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 21
When Joshua, by God's command,|
Invaded Canaan's guilty land;
Gibeon, unlike the nations round,
Submission made and mercy found.
2. Their stubborn neighbors who enraged,
3. He, from whose arm they ruin feared,
4. The men of Gibeon wore disguise,
5. But Jesus invitations sends,|
Treating with rebels as his friends;
And holds the promise forth in view,
To all who for his mercy sue.
6. Too long his goodness I disdained,
7. Weak in myself for help I cried,
8. With speed to my relief he came,
| Song Index | Home Page |