John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 115
When any turn from Zion's way,|
(Alas! what numbers do!)
Methinks I hear my Saviour say,
Wilt thou forsake me too?
2. Ah Lord! with such a heart as mine,
3. Yet thou alone hast pow'r, I know,
4. Beyond a doubt I rest assured|
Thou art the Christ of God;
Who hast eternal life secured
By promise and by blood.
5. The help of men and angels joined,
6. No voice but thine can give me rest,
7. What anguish has that question stirred,|
If I will also go?
Yet, Lord, relying on thy word,
I humbly answer, No!
| Song Index | Home Page |