John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 2
When Adam fell he quickly lost|
God's image, which he once possessed:
See All our nature since could boast
In Cain, his first-born Son, expressed!
2. The sacrifice the Lord ordained
3. Yet rage and envy filled his mind,
4. By Cain's own hand, good Abel died,
5. Such was the wicked murd'rer Cain,|
And such by nature still are we,
Until by grace we're born again,
Malicious, blind and proud, as he.
6. Like him the way of grace we slight,
7. The saints, in every age and place,
8. Thus Jesus fell - but O! his blood
| Song Index | Home Page |