John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 86
Though in the outward church below|
The wheat and tares together grow;
Jesus ere long will weed the crop,
And pluck the tares, in anger, up.
2. Will it relieve their horrors there,
3. O! this will aggravate their case!
4. We seem alike when thus we meet,|
Strangers might think we all are wheat;
But to the Lord's all-searching eyes,
Each heart appears without disguise.
5. The tares are spared for various ends,
6. But though they grow so tall and strong,
| Song Index | Home Page |