Two were the sisters, one the bride,|
John was so young and so brave.
The sisters stood silently side by side,
The one betrothed sobbed by his grave.
2. Cold blows the wind today, my love,
3. I'll do as much for my true love,
4. Time has gone by, a year, a day,
5. How can I let you sleep, my love,|
Now that your dear voice I hear?
I crave but a kiss from your clay-cold lips,
I long to kiss you, holding you near.
6. Then spoke the spirit angrily:
7. The spoke the maid in warm sweet tone:
8. So goes the tale that time has told,
9. Unquiet grave, be still, be still,|
Unquiet soul rest in peace.
Your lov'd ones will join thee, they will, they will,
When once their journey here has to cease.
| Song Index | Home Page |