Isaac Watts, 1709
'Twas on that dark, that doleful night|
When powers of earth and hell arose
Against the Son of God's delight
And friends betrayed Him to His foes.
2. Before the mournful scene began,
3. "This Is My body, broke for sin;
4. For us His flesh with nails was torn,|
He bore the scourge, He felt the thorn;
And justice poured upon His head
Its heavy vengeance in our stead.
5. For us His vital blood was spilt
6. "Do this," He said, "till time shall end,
7. Jesus, Thy feast we celebrate;|
We show Thy death, we sing Thy name,
Till Thou return and we shall eat
The marriage supper of the Lamb.
| Song Index | Home Page |