Isaac Watts, 1674-1748
'Twas for thy sake, eternal God,|
Thy Son sustained that heavy load
Of base reproach and sore disgrace,
And shame defiled his sacred face.
2. The Jews, his brethren and his kin,
3. "My Father's house," said he, "was made
4. Zeal for the temple of his God
5. His friends forsook, his followers fled,|
While foes and arms surround his head;
They curse him with a sland'rous tongue,
And the false judge maintains the wrong.
6. His life they load with hateful lies,
7. Wretches with hearts as hard as stones
8. But God beheld, and from his throne
| Song Index | Home Page |