John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 119
'Tis a point I long to know,|
Oft it causes anxious thought;
Do I love the Lord, or no?
Am I his, or am I not?
2. If I love, why am I thus?
3. Could my heart so hard remain,
4. When I turn my eyes within,
5. If I pray, or hear, or read,|
Sin is mixed with all I do;
You that love the Lord indeed,
Tell me, Is it thus with you?
6. Yet I mourn my stubborn will,
7. Could I joy his saints to meet,
8. Lord decide the doubtful case!
9. Let me love thee more and more,|
If I love at all, I pray;
If I have not loved before,
Help me to begin today.
| Song Index | Home Page |