William Cowper, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 96
Thy mansion is the christian's heart,|
O Lord, thy dwelling-place secure!
Bid the unruly throng depart,
And leave the consecrated door.
2. Devoted as it is to thee,
3. There too a sharp designing trade
4. I know them, and I hate their din,|
Am weary of the bustling crowd;
But while their voice is heard within,
I cannot serve thee as I would.
5. O! for the joy thy presence gives,
6. And if thou make thy temple thine,
| Song Index | Home Page |