Isaac Watts, 1674-1748
Through every age, eternal God,|
Thou art our rest, our safe abode;
High was thy throne ere heav'n was made,
Or earth thy humble footstool laid.
2. Long hadst thou reigned ere time began,
3. But man, weak man, is born to die,
4. A thousand of our years amount
5. Death, like an overflowing stream,|
Sweeps us away; our life's a dream,
An empty tale, a morning flower,
Cut down and withered in an hour.
6. Our age to seventy years is set;
7. But O how oft thy wrath appears,
8. Teach us, O Lord, how frail is man;
| Song Index | Home Page |