John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 133
The word of Christ, our Lord,|
With whom we have to do;
Is sharper than a two-edged sword,
To pierce the sinner through.
2. Swift as the lightnings blaze
3. No heart can he concealed
4. He sees his peoples' fears,|
He notes their mournful cry;
He counts their sighs and falling tears,
And helps them from on high.
5. Though feeble is their good,
6. He sees the wicked too,
7. Since all our secret ways|
Are marked and known by thee;
Afford us, Lord, thy light of grace
That we ourselves may see.
| Song Index | Home Page |