John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 2, hymn 97
The water stood like walls of brass,|
To let the sons of Israel pass;
And from the rock in rivers burst
At Moses' prayer to quench their thirst.
2. The fire restrained by God's commands,
3. At Daniel's feet the lions lay
4. Thus creatures only can fulfill|
Their great Creator's holy will;
And when his servants need their aid,
His purposes must be obeyed.
5. So if his blessing he refuse,
6. Then let us trust the Lord alone,
7. If instruments of pain they prove,|
Still they are guided by his love;
As lancets by the surgeon's skill,
Which wound to cure, and not to kill.
| Song Index | Home Page |