John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 137
The message first to Smyrna sent,|
A message full of grace;
To all the Saviour's flock is meant,
In every age and place.
2. Thus to his church, his chosen bride,
3. Thy works and sorrows well I know,
4. I know thy foes, and what they say,|
How long they have blasphemed;
The synagogue of Satan, they,
Though they would Jews be deemed.
5. Though Satan for a season rage,
6. Be faithful unto death, nor fear
7. Hear what the holy Spirit saith|
Of all who overcome;
They shall escape the second death,
The sinner's aweful doom!
| Song Index | Home Page |