John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol.1, hymn 16
The manna favored Israel's meat,|
Was gathered day by day;
When all the host was served, the heat
Melted the rest away.
2. In vain to hoard it up they tried,
3. 'Twas daily bread and would not keep,
4. The truths by which the soul is fed,|
Must thus be had afresh;
For notions resting in the head,
Will only feed the flesh.
5. However true, they have no life,
6. Nor can the best experience past,
7. Dear Lord, while we in prayer are found,|
Do thou the Manna give;
O! let it fall on all around,
That we may eat and live.
| Song Index | Home Page |