John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 54
The evils that beset our path|
Who can prevent or cure?
We stand upon the brink of death
When most we seem secure.
2. If we today sweet peace possess,
3. Disease and pain invade our health
4. A fever or a blow can shake|
Our wisdom's boasted rule;
And of the brightest genius make
A madman or a fool.
5. The gourds, from which we look for fruit,
6. I pity those who seek no more
7. Since sin has filled the earth with woe,|
And creatures fade and die;
Lord wean our hearts from things below,
And fix our hopes on high.
| Song Index | Home Page |