John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 101
The castle of the human heart|
Strong in its native sin;
Is guarded well, in every part,
By him who dwells within.
2. For Satan there, in arms, resides,
3. Each traitor thought on him, as chief,
4. Thus Satan for a season reigns,
5. But Jesus, stronger far than he,|
In his appointed hour
Appears, to set his people free
From the usurper's pow'r.
6. This heart I bought with blood, he says,
7. In spite of unbelief and pride,
8. The rebel soul that once withstood
| Song Index | Home Page |