John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 130
Strange and mysterious is my life,|
What opposites I feel within!
A stable peace, a constant strife,
The rule of grace, the pow'r of sin:
Too often I am captive led,
Yet daily triumph in my Head.
2. I prize the privilege of prayer,
3. I call the promises my own,
4. I love the holy day of rest,|
When Jesus meets his gathered saints;
Sweet day, of all the week the best!
For its return my spirit pants:
Yet often, through my unbelief,
It proves a day of guilt and grief.
5. While on my Saviour I rely,
6. Thus different pow'rs within me strive,
| Song Index | Home Page |