John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 110
Sovereign grace has pow'r alone|
To subdue a heart of stone;
And the moment grace is felt,
Then the hardest heart will melt.
2. When the Lord was crucified,
3. Thus he spent his wicked breath,
4. But the other, touched with grace,|
Saw the danger of his case;
Faith received to own the Lord,
Whom the scribes and priests abhorred.
5. Lord, he prayed, remember me;
6. This was wondrous grace indeed,
7. But beware of unbelief,|
Think upon the hardened thief;
If the gospel you disdain,
Christ, to you, will die in vain.
| Song Index | Home Page |