John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 108
Simon, beware! the Saviour said,|
Satan, your subtle foe,
Already has his measures laid
Your soul to overthrow.
2. He wants to sift you all, as wheat,
3. Believers, tremble and rejoice,
4. Satan beholds, with jealous eye,|
Your privilege and joy;
He's always watchful, always nigh,
To tear and to destroy.
5. But Jesus lives to intercede,
6. Yet, let us not the warning slight,
7. While Satan watches, dare we sleep?|
We must our guard maintain;
But, Lord, do thou the city keep,
Or else we watch in vain.
| Song Index | Home Page |