John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 30
Poor, weak and worthless though I am|
I have a rich almighty friend;
Jesus, the Saviour, is His Name;
He freely loves, and without end.
2. He ransomed me from hell with blood,
3. He cheers my heart, my wants supplies,
4. But ah! I my inmost spirit mourns,
5. Often my gracious Friend I grieve,|
Neglect, distrust, and disobey,
And often Satan's lies believe,
Sooner than all my Friend can say.
6. He bids me always freely come,
7. Before the world that hates his course,
8. Sure were not I most vile and base,
| Song Index | Home Page |