John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 74
Poor sinners! little do they think|
With whom they have to do!
But stand securely on the brink
Of everlasting woe.
2. Belshazzar thus, profanely bold,
3. He saw a hand upon the wall
4. Why should he tremble at the view|
Of what he could not read?
Foreboding conscience quickly knew
His ruin was decreed.
5. See him o'erwhelmed with deep distress!
6. His pomp and music, guests and wine,
7. The law like this hand-writing stands,|
And speaks the wrath of God;
But Jesus answers its demands,
And cancels it with blood.
| Song Index | Home Page |