John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 129
Oppressed with unbelief and sin,|
Fightings without, and fears within;
While earth and hell, with force combined,
Assault and terrify my mind.
2. What strength have I against such foes,
3. Thus sorely pressed I sought the Lord,
4. O! 'twas a cheering word indeed!|
Exactly suited to my need;
Sufficient for thee is my grace,
Thy weakness my great pow'r displays.
5. Now despond and mourn no more,
6. My grace would soon exhausted be,
| Song Index | Home Page |