Probably from Southeast England in the 18th century
Once I had a hawk, and a pretty grey hawk.|
She came and she went at request.
I loved her so well, and so very, very well,
In my bosom she builded her nest, my brave boys,
In my bosom she builded her nest.
2. Then I got a bell and tied it to her foot,
3. Then it's up streets I walk, and down streets I run,
4. It's up the green meadows I walk,|
And down the green meadows I run,
And there I did spy my pretty grey hawk,
She was close by the side of a man, my brave boys,
She was close by the side of a man.
5. He that hath got her, so e'en let him keep her,
6. Happy is he that hath got a good wife,
| Song Index | Home Page |