John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 78
Jesus Christ, the Lord's anointed,|
Who his blood for sinners spilt;
Is the Stone by God appointed,
And the church is on him built:
He delivers all who trust him from their guilt.
2. Many eyes at once are fixed
3. By the Father's eye approved,
4. Angels with their eyes pursued him,
5. Satan and his host amazed,|
Saw this stone in Zion laid;
Jesus, though to death abased,
Bruised the subtle serpent's head:
When to save us, on the cross his blood he shed.
6. When a guilty sinner sees him,
7. With desire and admiration,
8. By the eye of carnal reason
9. How their hearts will melt and tremble|
When they hear his aweful voice;
But his saints he'll then assemble,
As his portion and his choice;
And receive them to his everlasting joys.
| Song Index | Home Page |