Now let our lips with holy fear|
And mournful pleasure sing
The suff'rings of our great High Priest,
The sorrows of our King.
2. He sinks in floods of deep distress;
How high the waters rise!
While to his heav'nly Father's ear
He sends perpetual cries.
3. "Hear me, O Lord, and save thy Son,
Nor hide thy shining face;
Why should thy fav'rite look like one
Forsaken of thy grace?
4. "With rage they persecute the man
That groans beneath thy wound,
While for a sacrifice I pour
My life upon the ground.
5. "They tread my honor to the dust,
And laugh when I complain;
Their sharp insulting slanders add
Fresh anguish to my pain.
6. "All my reproach is known to thee,|
The scandal and the shame
Reproach has broke my bleeding heart,
And lies defiled my name.
7. "I looked for pity, but in vain;
My kindred are my grief:
I ask my friends for comfort round,
But meet with no relief.
8. "With vinegar they mock my thirst,
They give me gall for food;
And sporting with my dying groans,
They triumph in my blood.
9. "Shine into my distressed soul,
Let thy compassions save;
And though my flesh sink down to death,
Redeem it from the grave.
10. "I shall arise to praise thy name,
Shall reign in worlds unknown;
And thy salvation, O my God,
Shall seat me on thy throne."