John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 100
Martha her love and joy expressed|
By care to entertain her guest;
While Mary sat to hear her Lord,
And could not bear to lose a word.
2. The principle in both the same,
3. But Mary chose the better part,
4. With warmth she to her sister spoke,|
But brought upon herself rebuke;
One thing is needful, and but one,
Why do thy thoughts on many run?
5. How oft are we like Martha vexed,
6. Lord teach us this one thing to choose,
7. Let groveling hearts the world admire,|
Thy love is all that I require!
Gladly I may the rest resign,
If the one needful thing be mine!
| Song Index | Home Page |