John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol., 1, hymn 5
How hurtful was the choice of Lot,|
Who took up his abode
Because it was a fruitful spot
With them who feared not God!
2. A pris'ner he was quickly made,
3. Yet still he seemed resolved to stay
4. Awhile he stayed with anxious mind,
5. In vain his sons-in-law he warned,|
They thought he told his dreams;
His daughters too, of them had learned,
And perished in the flames.
6. His wife escaped a little way,
7. Yea; Lot himself could ling'ring stand,
8. The doom of Sodom wilt be ours
| Song Index | Home Page |