Isaac Watts, 1674-1748
Lord, we have heard thy works of old,|
Thy works of power and grace,
When to our ears our fathers told
The wonders of their days.
2. How thou didst build thy churches here,
3. In God they boasted all the day,
4. But now our souls are seized with shame,
5. Yet have we not forgot our God,
6. Though dragons all around us roar|
With their destructive breath,
And thine own hand has bruised us sore
Hard by the gates of death.
7. We are exposed all day to die
8. Awake, arise, Almighty Lord,
9. Wilt thou for ever cast us off,
10. Down to the dust our soul is bowed,
11. Redeem us from perpetual shame,|
Our Savior and our God;
We plead the honors of thy name,
The merits of thy blood.
| Song Index | Home Page |