Isaac Watts, 1674-1748
Lord, I am vile, conceived in sin;|
And born unholy and unclean;
Sprung from the man whose guilty fall
Corrupts the race, and taints us all.
2. Soon as we draw our infant breath,
3. Great God, create my heart anew,
4. Behold, I fall before thy face;|
My only refuge is thy grace:
No outward forms can make me clean
The leprosy lies deep within.
5. No bleeding bird, nor bleeding beast,
6. Jesus, my God, thy blood alone
7. While guilt disturbs and breaks my peace,|
Nor flesh nor soul hath rest or ease;
Lord, let me hear thy pard'ning voice,
And make my broken bones rejoice.
| Song Index | Home Page |