Isaac Watts, 1674-1748
Lord, if thou dost not soon appear,|
Virtue and truth will fly away;
A faithful man amongst us here
Will scarce be found, if thou delay.
2. The whole discourse, when neighbors meet,
3. But lips that with deceit abound
4. Yet shall our words be free, they cry;|
Our tongues shall be controlled by none:
Where is the Lord will ask us why?
Or say our lips are not our own?
5. The Lord, who sees the poor oppressed,
6. Thy word, O Lord, though often tried,
7. Thy grace shall in the darkest hour|
Defend the holy soul from harm;
Though when the vilest men have power,
On every side will sinners swarm.
| Song Index | Home Page |