John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 140
Hear what the Lord, the great Amen,|
The true and faithful Witness says!
He formed the vast creation's plan,
And searches all our hearts and ways.
2. To some he speaks as once of old,
3. Thou boasteth, I am wise and rich,
4. Yet while I thus rebuke, I love,|
My message is in mercy sent;
That thou may'st my compassion prove,
I can forgive, if thou repent.
5. Wouldst thou be truly rich and wise?
6. See at thy door I stand and knock!
7. Thou canst not entertain a king,|
Unworthy thou of such a guest!
But I my own provisions bring,
To make thy soul a heavenly feast.
| Song Index | Home Page |