William Cowper, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 22
Jesus, whose blood so freely streamed|
To satisfy the laws demand;
By thee from guilt and wrath redeemed,
Before the Father's face I stand.
2. To reconcile offending man,
3. No drop remains of all the curse;
4. Peace by such means co dearly bought,|
What rebel could have hoped to see?
Peace, by his injured sovereign wrought,
His Sovereign fastened to the tree.
5. Now, Lord, thy feeble worm prepare!
6. Let them in horrid league agree!
| Song Index | Home Page |