Joseph Grigg, 1765, altered by Benjamin Francis, 1787
Jesus! and shall it ever be|
A mortal man ashamed of Thee?
Ashamed of Thee, whom angels praise,
Whose glories shine through endless days?
2. Ashamed of Jesus? Sooner far
3. Ashamed of Jesus? Just as soon
4. Ashamed of Jesus, that dear Friend|
On whom my hopes of heaven depend?
No; when I blush, be this my shame,
That I no more revere His name.
5. Ashamed of Jesus? Yes, I may
6. Till then - nor is the boasting vain
6a. Ashamed of Jesus! empty prides
I'll boast a Saviour crucified;
And O may this my portion be,
My Saviour not ashamed of me.
| Song Index | Home Page |