It fell upon the Martinmas time|
And a gay time it was then, oh
When our goodwife got puddings to make
And she's boiled them in the pan, oh.
2. The wind so cold blew south and north
3. My hand is in my hussyfskap
4. They made the pact betwixt them twa
5. Then by there came two gentlemen
6. Now whether is this a rich man's house|
Or whether it is a poor, oh
But never a word has one of them spoke
For the barring of the door, oh.
7. So first they ate the white puddings
8. Then said the one unto the other
9. But there's no water in the house
10. O, up then started our goodman
11. Then up and started our goodwife|
Gave three skips upon the floor, oh
Goodman ye spoke the foremost word
Ye must rise and bar the door, oh.
| Song Index | Home Page |