John Newton, 1779, from Olney Hymns, vol. 1, hymn 45
In mercy, not in wrath, rebuke|
Thy feeble worm, my God!
My spirit dreads thine angry look,
And trembles at thy rod.
2. Have mercy, Lord, for I am weak,
3. By day my busy beating head
4. Thus I sit desolate and mourn,|
Mine eyes grow dull with grief;
How long, my Lord, ere thou return,
And bring my soul relief?
5. O come and show thy pow'r to save,
6. Satan, my cruel envious foe,
7. But hence, thou enemy, depart!|
Nor tempt me to despair;
My Saviour comes to cheer my heart,
The Lord has heard my prayer.
| Song Index | Home Page |