In Bruton Town there lived a noble man,|
He had two sons and a daughter fair
By night and day they were contriving,
For to fill their sister's heart with care.
2. One night one night our restless young girl
One brother rose up from his bed
He heard the servant court their sister
Oh he heard they had a mind to wed.
3. Oh when he rose the very next morning
Went searching for the servantman,
And when he found him this young man he murdered,
Oh left him lying in the briars around.
4. Oh she went to bed a-crying and lamenting
And thinking of her own true love.
And as she slept she dreamt that she saw him,
A-lying in the countryside all covered with gore and blood.
5. "Oh brothers, brothers why do you whisper,|
And what's become of this servantman ?"
"Oh we lost him when we were a-contending
We lost him were he won't ever be found".
6. Oh she early rose the very next morning
And searched the countryside around
And there she saw her own dear jewel
A-lying in the briars where he'd been found.
7. Three days and nights he'd lie by him
She thought her heart it would break with woe
When a cruel hunger came upon her,
And in despair to her home she did go.
8. Oh sister, sister why do you whisper,
And won't you tell us where you've been.
Stand off, stand off you bloody butchers
My love and I you have all slain.